Tuesday 28 April 2009

My gardening story so far...

Last year as I watched the supermarket prices steadily rise I decided that I would become an earth mother and teach my children how to grow their own vegetables, we planted tomatoes, strawberries, peas, pumpkins and aubergines but sadly it was not as successful as I hoped it would be, I blame the weather... 

But I shall not be defeated, hopefully I have learnt from my mistakes and with a bit more sunshine and a little less rain I shall have a better yield this year.

One success I did have last year, to my surprise, were my lemon trees, I took 3 pips from a fresh lemon and planted them into some compost and let nature take it’s course, now I have two impressive looking plants/saplings whatever the correct term is for a year old lemon tree.  Only another 7 years till we get fruit, according to a gardening book I have.

This year I have sown pumpkins, sweetcorn, chilli peppers, and rhubarb, I have obtained two tomato plants and two cucumber plants from my dad and I also plan to sow peas, turnips, carrots, parsnips, aubergines, beetroot, lettuce and spring onions.  My son, Jack, has joined the BBC Dig In campaign (yes we have actually received the free seeds from the BBC) and so he will be in competition with me growing his own carrots, beetroot, squashes, lettuce and tomatoes.

Oh yes we have also planted 3 varieties of potatoes although I am not very hopeful of these as we have bought a growing kit and the instructions we have followed are completely different to the advice I saw on Gardeners World the other week – who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment